Humanities Center continues its Visiting Scholars' Program in the winter semester of 2013-2014 The maximum award is $3,000 per semester. We invite applications from scholars officially affiliated with universities whose research projects involve theoretical, historical, or philosophical issues in the humanities. Scholars engaged in interdisciplinary humanistic research are particularly encouraged to apply. This program may be especially appealing to faculty on sabbatical leave or those holding research grants or post-doctoral awards.
The Visiting Scholar should already hold the Ph.D. or its equivalent for his or her field. However, university professors with a Masters degree will be considered as well. International applications are encouraged but visa and related documents, if required, are the responsibility of the applicants. We invite applications for visits ranging in duration from one month to one semester. The program does not offer health insurance.
Click here for the flyer with instructions on how to apply!
The Humanities Center will provide the following:
- An office in the Humanities Center equipped with a computer and office supplies.
- Limited clerical support.
- A grant of up to $3,000 for miscellaneous housing and other expenses related to the visit and research program. The award will be prorated for shorter visits (e.g. $750 for a month's visit).
- Assistance in arranging library privileges.
- Assistance in finding housing for the period, if needed.
During or at the completion of the visit, the scholar will be expected to give a public lecture on his/her research. The visitor will also be expected to collaborate with faculty, be available to students, and participate in Humanities Center's activities.
Applicants are required to provide the following:
- A detailed description of the research project to be funded in residency.
- A curriculum vitae.
- Two letters of reference (to be sent directly to Center Director).
Please forward applications to:
The Humanities Center
Attn: Walter F. Edwards, Director
2226 Faculty/Administration Building
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI 48202