The Humanities Center and the Graduate School are proud to announce their collaboration on funding the Humanities Center Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship. This annual fellowship will award $15,000 to a humanities or arts doctoral candidate in the final stages of writing his/her dissertation.
The applicant must already be in the process of writing the dissertation and must complete all requirements, including the final defense, by the end of the Spring/Summer Semester 2023 or shortly thereafter. Up to three smaller awards of $500 each could be made at the discretion of the sponsors. The fellowship award will be dispensed as monthly stipends between January and August.
Deadline: October 14, 2023
2022-2023 Doctoral Dissertation Flyer.
2022-2023 Doctoral Dissertation Application Form.
Applicants for this fellowship must be:
- Doctoral candidates preparing dissertations in the humanities, arts, or related disciplines.
- These disciplines include philosophy, languages, linguistics, literature, history, jurisprudence, archaeology, comparative religion, ethics, the arts etc.
- Those aspects of social sciences that have humanistic content and employ humanistic methods, and the study and application of the humanities to the human environment.
- An applicant must be enrolled in good standing as a PhD candidate in a humanities or arts discipline at WSU
- Must have the dissertation topic, outline, and prospectus approved by his/her dissertation committee, and by the Graduate School by the application deadline
- Must have completed all requirements for the PhD, except the dissertation
**The recipient of the fellowship cannot hold a teaching position nor have other major employment.**
Submit documents via Formy: https://forms.wayne.edu/62b4899808ef3/ (except the recommendation letter):
- Application Form Part I and Part II. Please click here for the form.
- Dissertation outline and prospectus with all necessary departmental and graduate school signatures.
- Statement of purpose indicating how your dissertation engages central issues in humanities or arts.
- Confidential reference from your dissertation adviser, submitted directly to the Humanities Center. The letter must arrive by the deadline.
- Confidential support letter from a second referee, submitted directly to the Humanities Center. The letter must arrive by the deadline.
The Humanities Center
2226 Faculty/Administration Building
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI 48202